Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sweet Alkaline breakfast - a Cappucino and Chocolate Croissant.....just kidding!


Living in the Italian region of Switzerland makes life a bit difficult when it comes to finding sweet alkaline breakfasts since a typical breakfast here is a cup of cappuccino accompanied with a chocolate croissant.   As much as I can handle green veggies for breakfast, sometimes I miss having a sweet breakfast.
I always read that quinoa makes a great oatmeal but since I already take too long choosing what to wear for work each morning, cooking quinoa in the morning is out of the question.  Last week, I discovered Quinoa FLAKES.  I couldn't believe that I've been eating alkaline for 5 months and I never knew this!  I was sooo excited!  You see, I am all about finding shortcuts and cheats when it comes to cooking healthy food.  I find it a pity that most people turn away from healthy diets because they have this idea that it's too time consuming to make. Not true!
Here’s what quinoa flakes look like:


Here’s a super delish sweet alkaline breakfast that’s perfect for starting your day right and the great thing is it can be made in MINUTES!

Quinoa Oatmeal
cooking time: 4 minutes
Serves 2

  • 1 cup of quinoa flakes
  • 3 cups of almond milk or water if you prefer
  • agave nectar to sweeten
  • optional: add alkaline toppings to spice things up a bit!


1)   Mix the quinoa flakes and the almond milk in a pan and bring to a boil (add less almond milk if you prefer thicker oatmeal)
2)   Once the liquid boils, take it off the stove and stir til all liquid is absorbed (or just leave it there while you finish your morning routine)
3)  Add agave nectar to sweeten to your taste

When I cook normal quinoa in my rice cooker, it takes about 20 minutes but with these rolled quinoa flakes, it literally takes minutes for it to soak up all the almond milk.  Because it’s the same texture of oatmeal flakes, it really does taste like oatmeal!  
Remember you can always pimp up your oatmeal with your favorite alkaline toppings like dates, almonds and cinnamon!l! 
you see, alkaline eating can be super easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment